The free Gedcom to HTML Converter
Version 1.16, Oct 12, 1999
WebbedGed is a Perl program that creates HTML files from a GEDCOM
file. WebbedGed originated from Dan Pidcock's excellent
gedcomToHTML program, v1.45.
WebbedGed is free software licensed under the
GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE,
Copyright © Paul Rawlins, 1999.
Basically you can modify, distribute, or even sell it -- provided the
source code is made freely available.
You can see what the output looks like
- Pedigree view showing up to 5 generations.
- Family Group Sheet view showing grandparents, parents, all spouses, and
- All person-links show vital information when the mouse is over the link.
- Notes that contain an http:// reference are displayed as hot-links.
How to use it:
- Download and install
if you don't already have it. Perl runs on MS Windows 95 and above,
Macintosh, and UNIX.
- Download the tar-gzipped WebbedGed.tgz
file and uncompress it. A new directory WebbedGed will be created.
- Copy your gedcom_file to the WebbedGed directory,
where gedcom_file is the Gedcom file exported from your genealogy
- Go to the WebbedGed directory and type the following
"perl WebbedGed.pl gedcom_file"
Open the file html/WebbedGed_frame.html in your web browser. That's it!
If you want to upload to the Web, copy the entire "html" and "gif" directories
to the same directory on your website.
The first section of the source contains options that can be customized.
Simply copy the lines to be customized to the file WebbedGed.cfg in the
current directory and set the new values as appropriate.
- Allow template files to customize style of created pages.
- Enhance pedigree gif images to support more than 5 generations.
- Allow parameter to toplevel frame to select root individual.
- Implement method for including photo on Family Groupsheet page.
Thanks to all those who have sent enhancement suggestions. If there
is something that you would like to see, let me know and I will try
to implement it!
Send comments to Paul Rawlins.
Do you spend as much time online as I do?
If so, check out how I make it worth my while...