Alma Frost Rawlins

"Written by his Children"

(Scanned by S. L. Rawlins, May 1997 from a typed copy provided by Julia Rawlins.)

Alma Frost Rawlins was born in Richmond, Utah, October 23, 1866.

When a young child he helped his nether spin yarn and put it in the loom, and weave cloth for their clothes. He also helped her weave carpet and lay it. When he was 13 years old, he went with his father and followed a slip-scraper on the railroad near Uintah. He continued railroad work and freighting and worked up as far as Helena, Montana. Many times as they journeyed from Montana toward home in the fall it snowed on them and they spent weeks on the trip; Once a man took ill with appendicitis and he was the only one who had nerve enough to ford Snake River in a white top buggy and get the man to Eagle Rock (Idaho Falls).

He was married to Loretta Huff on March 26, 1890, in the Logan Temple. Before getting recommends to go to the temple, they were re-baptized (as was the custom in those days). They had to cut a hole in the ice in Bear River to do this. They had a beautiful reception. They made their home in Lewiston, Utah. He farmed and worked on the railroad. He and his team worked for $1.25 a day, which was good wages for that time. Their oldest child, Zenna Dean, was born in Lewiston July 10, 1892. Veldon Huff, their second child, was born October 11, 1893. Abbie Velora was born February 17, 1895, and Vera was born December 1, 1897.

In 1899 they moved to Teton City, Idaho. They moved in two covered wagons. They stopped at Ross's Fork (Blackfoot) and an Indian put his head in at the opening in the back of the wagon and frightened the children.

Father and his two brothers-in-law had come the year before and. filed on a piece of ground and built cabins. In the summer they lived in the cabin and in the winter they lived in the small settlement of Teton City, about 3 miles west. Alma Narvel was born here in 1902. Father went to Montana every spring to shear sheep. Once while he was gone there came up a terrible lightning storm, and the horses stampeded and cut themselves so badly they had to be killed. He was a true lover of good horses and a fine trainer and driver. He often had the best. horses in the valley and was very proud of them. About 1905 he took his family and drove about 40 miles to Idaho Falls in a white-top to see a circus. They stayed all night with Sam Rawlins. The following year his fine team was stolen. They hunted for these horses for days but didn't find them. Grandpa Rawlins then gave him a buckskin mare. From this mare came some of the finest horses in the valley. The first colt raised was sold for $225 to be sued in San Francisco on the fire wagon.

Veldon, the oldest son, died of sugar-diabetes in 1912 at the age of nineteen. Zola, their youngest daughter was born January 10 of that year.

They moved to Newdale in 1918 and built a beautiful new home in 1919. There was a complete crop failure that year. In 1920 the crops were fair, but the companies that had contracted them went broke. Consequently they lost their home and farm. They bought another house in Newdale.

During the flu epidemic he went from house to house helping the sick and needy. He visited families in Teton and on farms for miles around. He never had it himself but was truly a ministering angel to many whose lives were in peril at that time.

He took a job as city Marshall and farmed a place near Newdale until 1927, then went to Moody creek and operated a farm there.

In 1929 he moved back to Newdale where he lived until his death. He farmed until 1935 when he retired. He occupied himself caring for his yard and small plot of ground and was Justice of the Peace. He held many honorable positions in the church and was a High Priest at the time of his death. He was loved and respected by all who know him. He died in May 1948, and was buried in Teton Cemetery.

Back to top