History of Christopher "R" Bodily
(By Arlie Matkin Bodily Rawlins Matkin)

Chris was born June 16, 1884 in Fairview, Oneida, Idaho to Edwin and Matilda Roberts Bodily. He was the 6th child of 13. He went to school and Uncle Myrl says he’s sure he graduated from High School.

When he was only 18 he was called on a mission to the Southern States. He had a strong testimony. It was said that when a new missionary went into the field that the other missionaries would initiate them by taking them out into the country and give him some severe training, so that is what his senior companion was going to do, but at the conclusion of the trip, Chris had to carry his companion’s suitcases and was in better physical condition than his companion. He had been with the sheep and was accustomed to walking a great deal and his companion didn’t know this, but found it out.

He was a very good missionary and would ask questions and would get the people stumped and to thinking. He didn’t stay active in the Church, but was always willing to donate when ever there was buildings or other things going on. He helped many people and no one ever knew anything about it but them and him. He was a well rounded individual and did not narrow in this life. He was practical in his work and believed his religion.

There was 4 of the boys that were in the service of our country and it was a hardship on him because of his illness. Arlo had been wounded and was home, Bardo had been gone 5 years and was home on furlough, Suel was in Germany, D-Day was announced a day or so before Bardo was to go back over seas but he reported down to Fort Douglas in Salt Lake and was released.

Dad had sheep for many years. He was a good farmer and was a very good manager. In those days they traded work with neighbors. During the depression he said “I just don’t go to town, then I don’t spent any money.”

Uncle Myrl said Dad was a great whistler.

Arlo and Vertis went on Missions.

Dad wasn’t a large man, he was 5ft 7in and weighed 135 lbs.

When we were little he played with us a lot and enjoyed us. He was a good man, but like all of us he had a few bad faults and only once did I ever see him drunk, when him and some of the men working in the hay drank beer he was sick, he couldn’t seem to break his other bad habit. He always had cows and sheep, he’d bring home the bummer lambs and we’d feed and take care of them 2 or 3 times a day. He took pride with his horses, he had 3 pinto horses.

Dad had several things wrong with him asthma (chronic). He was in the hospital several days doing good and was coming out the next day when he passed away with heart failure. He was greatly missed by all who knew him. He was 62 years old. He died May 25, 1945 at the Logan Hospital.

This might be interesting at Dad’s funeral these were the men taking part:

  • Bishop V. D. Smart (Glenda’s dad) invocation.
  • President Myrl G. Hyer first speaker (Benson Stake)
  • President Henry Rawlings second speaker (Franklin Stake)
  • Bishop Dow Lewis third speaker (neighbor)
  • Bishop Hazen Spackman fourth speaker (former Second Ward Bishop)
  • Bishop Teb Holt fifth speaker (Bishop at that time)
  • Benediction by James Bodily
  • Prayer at the home Goudy A. Hogan (Benson Stake Patriarch)
  • Dedication of the grave A. Willard Larson (Franklin Stake Patriarch)

Back to top